Monday, April 17, 2006

To the Village and Musical Advances

We had the advantage of being driven up to the village of Martz this past Saturday with one of the members of the Yerkir organisation, the construction expert, and the hired driver. We left at 7am in the morning with a most somber crew. The driver did not speak a word during our 3 and 1/2 hour journey, Robert the Yerkir representative stuck his headphones in and Hrair the construction expert nodded off in his own world. Fortunately I had my friend Anna with me (guardian angel as I call her) and we had a good laugh at our situation. We passed many towns each turning greener and more beautiful as we headed north. Though we could not locate the village on a local map we crossed our fingers and headed in the right direction.
After tackling a muddy track which left our tyres spinning and many Hail Mary's we reached our destination. New little piglets were scattered about rummaging through the turf welcoming us back to the village. The look on the villagers faces was one of surprise mixed with joy and grateful acceptance. I explained our mission to renovate the school and we were welcomed with great respect. We measured, photographed and discussed as the children slowly got the gist of the fact that I was back. One by one they crept out of their classrooms to come and give kisses and hugs and exchange a few words. Some of them quickly went and picked fresh daffodils to hand to us. Not before long the children queued up and waited to greet us and asked eagerly if we would be coming back to run the summer camp in August. Their excitement at my confirmation was bittersweet.
Martz at this time of the year is so beautiful. All the fruit trees are flowering, the river has risen and playfully runs its course through the rocks. Everything suggests new life and new hope. Some things remain exactly the same. The village dog Quatro greeted us as if we had never left, the large irrigation pipes along the road which were meant to be constructed still lay strewn about as they had been 7 months before. The mayor had changed, the principal of the school had changed, one of the young boys was now married but time had not touched anything else. We were treated to a typical meal of pork barbeque, potatoes, local cheeses, bread, whisky, wine, and sausages. Toast after toast and the locals got their midday buzz while we feigned to drink what was in our glasses! We are now to put together the budget to see how far we can take the money we have raised and will start work after une 10th when the children finish school. I am to return on Saturday with Hrair "Hawk" Khatcherian (renowned photographer) to document the village and our work.
On the musical front many doors are opening. I have found a jovial and warm hearted woman who has worked with many top musicans in Armenia to work with the arrangements of the songs. In the mean time I am being introduced to reporters and television stations who are all showing interest in the fact that these songs are coming together for the benefit of the poor villages in Armenia. God seems to be guiding the way constantly and all I do is listen and follow. Truly my days are incredibly busy but they are never planned. Spontaneously things seem to unfold, take shape and just fit perfectly along the road. I go forth with great happiness.
I shall attempt to get some pictures of the village uploaded soon.
Until then - Happy Easter. Peace, love, light, sunshine and spring flowers.


Blogger Hishyeness said...

You sound incredibly happy and excited. I wish I was there with you, but for now, keep taking us on your journey of hope and discovery, so that we can live a little or your wonderful experience vicariously. With lots and lots of love from me, Tanya and your adorable little niece, Jasmine Anoush.

1:28 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home