Friday, June 09, 2006

Officially Armenian and Some Applause




















And so it has finally happened! 5 painstaking visits to the "Ovir" and I have bought myself and Armenian passport valid for the next 10 years. This beautiful blue document complete with picture, official stamps and pages of unmarked beauty is mine. The joy! To have grown up my whole life knowing that I am Armenian and to finally be accepted as one of my own countrymen (with a $300 charge). I am one very very happy Armenian! I no longer require a visa to return here and I am also free to travel to Karabagh. The gates are now open - it shall become a "choori jampah" (waterway) for me.
Last night was my debut performance on a stage in Armenia. I took part in the "Vosge Guitar 2006 Paradon" (Golden Guitar Festival 2006). I must say that I experienced the true feeling of being home again - home in my heart and soul and truly enjoying giving it out to the audience. I was pleased it was received with great enthusiasm and am truly touched and feel fortunate that Armenia accepts me among their loved musicians. I have the great luck of being greatly supported by the "Bob Dylan" of Armenia (Roupen Haghverdian) and his support sheds some light on me and I hope that I am able to shine.
As for Armenia, I have found my roots and to say the least they are growing downwards. We had a fantastic night out at an open air concert at the Opera to celebrate the victory of the Armenian Chess Team. The music was pumping, the crowds were dancing and soon we had an abundance of sparklers, balloons and flags. It was great to see the national pride and the happiness evident in all the people present. I shall attach some pictures in the future.
Finally, the recording goes well. A very special thank you to the musicians who made it happen at the concert last night. They are a special group of young people who truly enjoy their art and I felt priveledged to have such a dedicated and talented group of people with me: Linus String Quartet, Nelly Manoukian on flute, Nairi Musoyan on duduk, Asghik Ghazarian on oboe, Ashod Vosganian on guitar, and Sasha Grigoryan on percussion. Thank you, thank you, thank you - couldn't have done it without you.
Will be back with pictures - might take a few in the studio tonight.
Peace and love
-S

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm, I find it very discomforting that as an Armenian you would be content with BUYING your passport - which actually does not give you the same rights as other passport-holders. What's so great in a piece of paper that represents, more than anything else, the division between Armenia and the diaspora (thanks to the former's refusal to consider us belonging fully to the state even though our contributions, financial and lobby-wise, are expected and demanded)?

Not only that, but the single-citizenship policy is harming Armenia more than it is doing it any good. And the fact that so many diasporans are fooled by their longing for belonging and the sense of a homeland, is harming Armenia, because this policy is in the interests of the ruling elites and only the ruling elites in Armenia, and not the good of the nation / homeland.

Other than that, excellent blog! Glad to have found it.

10:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm, I find it very discomforting that as an Armenian you would be content with BUYING your passport - which actually does not give you the same rights as other passport-holders. What's so great in a piece of paper that represents, more than anything else, the division between Armenia and the diaspora (thanks to the former's refusal to consider us belonging fully to the state even though our contributions, financial and lobby-wise, are expected and demanded)?

mbling-day.com/online-craps.html ]Online Craps[/url]
Craps [url= http://www.gambling-day.com/craps.html ]Craps[/url]
Play Roulette [url= http://www.gambling-day.com/play-roulette-online.html ]Play Roulette[/url]
Play Roulette [url= http://www.gambling-day.com/play-roulette.html ]Play Roulette[/url]
Roulette Online [url= h

10:40 AM  
Blogger Sonya Varoujian said...

Dear Basturma (excellent),

I hadn't thought about it profoundly enough and have fallen prey to the sentimentalism you describe below because you make a very valid point. Nevertheless I am an artist and prone to such sentiments and don't always get my head around the political consequences of things... Thanks for the info - and thanks for linking me to your page which by the way is waaay interesting.
Sonya

9:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home